03 November 2009

Day 3 of Gratitude

A stoplight. The breakroom. In line. Eating.

These are the little moments I'm grateful for today. Stolen moments wherein I can enter a literary world so different or so similar to my own. Sometimes a sentence, sometimes a paragraph, sometimes a few pages. I cherish these moments.

I always carry a book with me. Always. In the rare instances when I've forgotten it I panic. I feel like my left arm has been cut off. Waiting in line, at a stoplight, anywhere without a book is excruciating (only a slight exaggeration, I think).

The thing is: I love books. I love reading. I love passages that describe something so perfectly. I love learning. I love escaping to another world. I love connecting with myself through other's experiences. So not only am I grateful for the few moments in each day when I get to read, I am grateful for a conscious decision I made at the age of 21 to learn to love reading.

No comments: