19 November 2010
21 October 2010
07 October 2010
I look forward to weekends so much more now that I don't have to work every weekend... or if I do I get to work at doing something I love.
I just looked at my October calendar and the weekends are fillin' up fast! Lovesit!
What will your 5 October weekends look like?
03 October 2010
- I will say my prayers every single morning & night
- I will go to the temple at least twice a month
- I will study the scriptures every single day
- I will prepare my sunday school lesson before I get to sacrament meeting
- I will write in my journal more often
- I will say thank you much more often... esp to people who annoy me
- I will stop going to the store on sunday
- I will try to go to sleep early and wake up early
- I will exercise and eat well
- I will keep my house and car clean
As Elder Scott said, Become what you want to be by being what you want to become.
24 August 2010
I've got lots to blog about but I feel the need to ease back into this blogging thing. So, here's a little treat. This is what happens when you hang out with cool people on a sunday night. And might I just say, my video editing skillz are off da hook. Fer realz.
Thanks to the viral internet sensation, F*bomb, for introducing the glory that is Robot Unicorn Attack!
27 May 2010
Know how to start of a good summer of fun?
*fireworks in the desert*
One good thing about living in Las Vegas is its proximity to Moapa. The only good thing about Moapa is the firework store. We happened by there the other night with the express intention of buying some explosives... but, shhh! They're illegal. Don't tell.
Tif got a really big sparkler.
I jumped over fire... succesfully.
Josh is a nerd. He creeps into photos. He can't jump over fire very well. Thus, it becomes imperative to shoot Roman Candles at him.
A small sampling of our goods.
10 May 2010
This week's long run- 8 miles. Eight.
a- I cannot run that far on a treadmill. Anything over 3 miles and that spinning belt makes me lose my mind.
b- I cannot run that far on the indoor track at the gym. Lit'rally running in circles should not apply to distance (and I use that term loosely) running (I also use that term loosely). Even if I could stand to go that far on a 6-1/4 laps/mi track I'm positive that after a few miles I'd lose count of how many laps I'd run and just give up.
The weather report in LV for what seems like forever:
Not just windy but scary windy. The kind of wind that blows garbage cans down the street, upturns trees (seriously, part of someone else's tree was in my yard the other day) and sounds like a horror flick.
Is there such thing as torrential wind?
a- Skip the long run this week. T minus 4 weeks 'til race day. Still plenty of time to train. This is the lie I tell myself.
b- Run. Run outside. Run in the torrential wind.
I decide to run before I skillfully talk myself out of going.
Laundry's not done so I grab my smelly pants, jogbra and shirt. At least I have clean socks (I think). Requisite wrist band... well turn that puppy inside out and it's so fresh and so clean (clean). Hydro belt: check. Ipod: check. Off we go.
My chosen route:
4 miles uphill. Turn around. 4 miles home.
Mile 1- Uphill. Just getting started. I'm always tired in mile 1. Wind sucks but it's too early to stop and walk.
Mile 2- Flat. In the groove. Good tunes. Holy gusty wind.
Mile 3 & 4- Fight! Fight the hill! Fight the wind! Wind sucks.
Here's the weird thing. I felt better, faster, stronger running uphill into the wind then I ever do on flat ground on a calm day. Why? Because I have to fight. It certainly isn't boring attacking the forces of nature. Plus, when I get home I get to post on facebook that I ran uphill into the wind for 4 miles and all my non-runner friends will be all "That's crazy! You are so awesome!"
Let's be honest for a second: Praise. That's a big part of why I run; so people tell me how awesome I am. I know I'm not awesome (yes, I am) but I sure do love hearing it (because I am) .
Mile 5 & 6- I swear this hill was steeper when I was running up it! But, I love the wind! It's lit'rally pushing me home. All I have to do is lift my feet and it basically does the work for me. Though, somewhere in mile 6 the wind makes me kick my own ankle. That hurt.
Mile 7 & 8- Feeling good. Almost home. Plus, the wind is still pushing me. This is so easy!
I did it. I feel awesome! Runner's high? I don't get that while I'm running. I get that as soon as I finish my run because I'm done! And I don't have to run anymore... until tomorrow.
Stats: 8 miles. 83 minutes.
30 April 2010
29 April 2010
I kind of can’t believe I did it. I also can’t stop with this boldness. It’s the new me!
I met a cute boy last weekend. I couldn’t stop looking at him, watching him in my peripheral. I even snuck (though it didn’t look too sneaky) a photo of him. Later that night I facebook stalked him (friend of a friend of a friend, you know). Yes, I’m a stalker, and a damn good one at that. I didn’t want that day’s meeting to be the last contact. After 3 days of deliberating and building up courage I decided to send him a message via facebook. I didn’t bother mentioning how I found him. He’s a guy. He probably won’t even wonder.
Once I made the decision to be uncharacteristically and ridiculously bold I acted. In fact I didn’t even spend time thinking about it because I knew I could talk myself out of it. I just did it. Bold and brazen. I emailed him, told him I’m up for getting together and left the rest to fate. We’ll see what fate does with it.
It felt good to be bold. So good in fact that I decided to be bold with 4 other boys- one I recently went on one date with, one I’d like to go on a date with, one from the past and one with whom I’ve never managed to get out of the ‘friendzone’.
I made a decision about an hour before I sent that first email. I am going to go after what I want. I’m going to make things happen in my life. When you look at all the really lucky people in the world there is one common trait. These are people who are not afraid to be bold and take risks. The risks don’t always pay off but sometimes they do. And those are great pay offs.
Of course, there is the likelihood that I’ll be rejected by some or all of these boys. And that’s ok because at least I’ll know. And once I know I’ll be able to close the door of wondering and move on, move forward.
How will YOU be uncharacteristically and ridiculously bold?
24 April 2010
Meet my dear friend Lisa and her husband Jacob (who I'm sure would be my dear friend if we lived anywhere near each other and spent any quality time together because the guy is awesome). There is a very special spot in my heart for these guys. I'm not sure why but you know when people come into your life and you just adore them? That's what happened when I met Lisa and subsequently Jacob.
These guys were just approved to adopt! Hurrah!
You can read their beautiful profile HERE.
Please, if you or anyone you know of is looking for some awesome parents, consider them. If I had a baby I'd give it to them because I'm 100% sure they will be way better parents than I could ever be!
06 April 2010
While in Utah I fell in love with 2 new boys. What can I say? My friends make cute kids!
Sam. All 14inches and 1lb15oz of him. This guy decided to come 3 months early and is now fattening up in the NICU. Grow, baby boy! Grow!
Grey. He gives the best baby hugs I've ever had and even smacked an open mouth kiss on me. Ridiculously cute.
*totally stole these pics from his parents
Driving. Driving Driving.
I know it's super vain to post (mediocre) pictures of myself on le blog (even though it's my blog and I can do whatever I want) but, I just wanted you to see my blue hair because I love it. I'm so badass (not really).
My crazy Auntie Lu and Jane. Tongan dances... well there are just not words enough to discribe.
See what I mean? Seriously. Are you seeing this?! I didn't even try to be stealthy in order to get this picture.
My sis and me. We be good posers.
Meeting up with my favorite SuperBonBon. Love. Love. Love.
Bein' all cute and junk in downtown Provo.
Workin' it with the locals.
So much cotton candy! Cotton Candy with PopRocks! Genius!
Conference with the ladies.
Other really good stuff happened but I don't have pictures to prove it.
Dear Utah, you always treat me right. I'm ready to come back.
05 April 2010
01 April 2010
Thought I'd make a mix for the drive. I like driving alone but I need entertainment.
"This is a long drive for someone with nothing to think about"
1. Animal - Neon Trees *New fav band
2. Burden of Tomorrow - Tallest Man On Earth
3. Unloveable - Babybird *Soul wrenching, anyone?
4. We Will Walk - Matisyahu
5. All the Pretty Girls - fun.
6. Middle Distance Runner - Sea Wolf
7. Lasso - Phoenix *Have I mentioned how much I love Phoenix?
8. Float On - Modest Mouse *This song is on almost every single mix I make.
9. Fireflies - Owl City *Guilty pleasure
10. Walking On A Dream - Empire of the Sun
11. Hot Venom - Miniature Tigers
12. Spaceman - The Killers
13. Fire & Rain - Mat Kearney *Crush
14. Selfish Jean - Travis
15. I'm A Machine - Shark Speed
16. 1983 - Neon Trees
17. Rome - Phoenix *Seriously, I really like them!
18. Tik Tok (cover) - Air Raid Anthem *SOOO much better than the original
Most likely I'll just be listening to The Killers "Day & Age" and The Neon Trees "Habits" albums the whole way. I cannot get enough of them this week.
Email me if you want a copy of the mix. I'll send ya a disc.
27 March 2010
me: I'm going to Utah!
girl: I'm going to Atlanta. (She walks away)
boy: (whispering) Doesn't she mean Atlantis?
me: No, sweetheart. She means Atlanta.
I love that I live in a world where people truly believe in mythical cities.
08 March 2010
04 March 2010
08 February 2010
02 February 2010
01 February 2010
I herewith present my 32 for 32.
- stop putting off going to the grand canyon and go to the grand canyon already
- read "Les Miserable" (unabridged)
- get rid of everything in my closet that doesn't reflect my true style (attempt replenishing)
- send Thank You cards
- quit at least one of my jobs
- ride a razor scooter in Europe
- piece a quilt
- go to the temple monthly
- learn to make stir fry like my mom
- start a beach cruiser bike gang
- turn a photo into a jigsaw puzzle
- throw a fancy party
- crash a wedding
- go to calico ghost town
- go to 20 concerts/live shows
- photoshoot at the dry lake bed
- go to a play
- have a mohawk... or fauxhawk
- do tin foil dinners
- keep my room clean for two consecutive weeks
- post more pics on le blog
- knit something
- attend a photography workshop
- put shelves in my storage room
- learn to play the ukelele
- go hiking in Zion
- watch a meteor shower
- go kayaking
- road trip with just one other person
- read the book of mormon in french
- pay off my car loan
- go to a rave
I was perusing today and found something she wrote about me that I loved:
"a small part of her never grew up although she turned out quite grown up and lovely anyway"
And that's why it's great to have sisters. They know me like no one else does.
ps- is it any wonder that one of my favorite books in the world is Peter Pan?
28 January 2010
1- I Would Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) - Meat Loaf
2- Lost In Your Eyes - Debbie Gibson
3- Is This Love - Whitesnake
4- I'll Make Love To You - Boys II Men
5- I'll Be Loving You (Forever) - New Kids on the Block
6- Crush - David Archuletta
7- I Need Love - LL Cool J
8- Intermission (Instrumental) - My Fair Lady
9- Forever - Ben Harper
10- Nothing Fancy - David Barnes
11- I'd Die Without You - P.M. Dawn
12- Sleeping To Dream - Jason Mraz
13- Everything - Michael Buble
14- No One's Gonna Love You - Band of Horses
15- Look After You - The Fray
24 January 2010
Turns out he's also super awesome at making mix tapes. He was a veryclose second.
1- Will You Still Love Me? – Chicago
2- Heaven Is A Place On Earth – Belinda Carlisle
3- Bad Medicine – Bon Jovi
4- Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) – Journey
5- Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’ - Journey
6- Let’s Get It On – Marvin Gaye
7- Nasty Girl – Inaya Day
8- Modern Love – David Bowie
9- Simply Irresistible – Robert Palmer
10- With Or Without You – U2
11- A History Of Lovers – Calexico/Iron & Wine
12- Fix You – Coldplay
13- Needs – Collective Soul
14- Me And Bobby McGee – Janis Joplin
15- Are You Gonna Be My Girl – JET
16- Wonderwall – Ryan Adams
17- Love The One You’re With – Stephen Stills
18- Dance Me To The End Of Love – Madeleine Peyroux
19- You Are The Best Thing – Ray Lamontagne
20- Love You – Sondre Lerche
I've known Valerie for over a decade (yikes). At one point we shared a room. I have always been amazed by Valerie. She's like no one I've ever met before and that just makes me like her even more. Thing is, we rarely see each other, talk, etc aside from keeping up on each others blogs. But Valerie will always and forever be one of my very favorite people in the world. Like, if I was stranded on a desert island and could only take 5 people with me she'd be one of them.
Val did an awesome job. I think she won me over with the oozing cheesy goodness of Bread and Air Supply not to mention the delightful surprise of Mr Joel. I was never a fan until now.
Well done, Valerie. Well done.
1) When I See You Smile - Bad English
2) Lovin' You - Minnie Riperton
3) I'd Love You to Want Me - Lobo
4) Do That To Me One More Time - Captain and Tennille
5) Everything I Own - Bread
6) Somebody - Depeche Mode
7) Take My Breath Away - Berlin
8) The One That You Love - Air Supply
9) True Companion - Marc Cohn
10) She's Got a Way - Billy Joel
11) In The Dark With You - Greg Brown
12) Gotta Have You - The Weepies
13) Hesitating Beauty - Billy Bragg and Wilco
14)You Are the Best Thing - Ray LaMontagne
15) Have a Little Faith - Michael Franti & Spearhead
16) Lay Lady Lay - Pete Drake
17) Kathy's Song - Simon & Garfunkel
18) Chariot - Page France
In the spirit of the game and because I have a great love for making mix tapes I thought I'd make my own MToL. Too bad I didn't win.
May I also add that it was terribly difficult distinguishing between the super cheesy and the super awesome. And, keeping it to just 20 songs was nigh unto impossible.
Alas- I present MY MToL
1) All My Life - K-Ci & JoJo
2) Faithfully - Journey
3) That's When I'll Stop Loving You - NSync
4) From This Moment On - Shania Twain & Bryan White
5) With You - Jessica Simpson
6) Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion
7) I Don't Want To Miss A Thing - Aerosmith
8) Everything I Do ( I Do It For You) - Bryan Adams
9) The Way - Clay Aiken
10) I Want To Know What Love Is - Foreigner
11) Golden - My Morning Jacket (Possibly my new favorite song of all time)
12) 14th Of February - Billy Bragg
13) Longer - Dan Fogelberg
14) When U Love Somebody - Fruit Bats
15) I Will Not Take My Love Away - Matt Wertz
16) First Love - The Maccabees
17) When Did You Fall - Chris Rice
18) Make You Feel My Love - Adele
19) Hold You In My Arms - Ray LaMontagne
20) I Believe In A Thing Called Love - The Darkness
05 January 2010
31 for 31
- go to the Grand Canyon - Fail.
- ride a horse - Fail.
- take photos in a photobooth - Check!
- read the Book of Mormon in french - Fail. I didn't even read it in english.
- read 20 books - Check! I loved this.
- run 500 miles - Fail. It was more like 5 miles.
- run a marathon - Fail. I signed up and didn't follow through. Again.
- photograph an entire wedding - Check. I love my job.
- go geocaching outside of Las Vegas - Fail.
- buy art - Fail.
- frame my own photography - Fail.
- ride my bike to church - Fail. First it was too cold, then it was too hot and now it's too cold again.
- go to DC - Fail.
- pay off credit cards - Fail.
- take swimming lessons - Fail.
- go skinny dipping - Fail.
- go to an amusement park - Fail.
- find a (photography) mentor - Fail.
- research organic foods - Check. Organic food = overrated. Organic milk = yes, please.
- have a spa day - Check! And it was lovely.
- go to a demolition derby - Fail.
- attend First Friday - Check.
- share a Book of Mormon with someone - Fail.
- read the entire Harry Potter series again - Check. Kind of. I'm still have half of book 7 to finish.
- go hiking in the Valley of Fire - Fail.
- make a quilt - Fail.
- play the piano in Sacrament Mtg (special musical number) - Check. Blew the roof offa dat house.
- donate money to a worthy cause - Fail.
- compile a book (a la David Sedaris) - Fail. But at least I came up with a new book idea that is genius. Genius! It's half written in my head.
- lose 31lbs - Fail.
- get married - Fail. I'm over trying to accomplish this one.
Hmm... that was even more depressing than I thought it would be. Oh well. That year is over with. On to the next! Huzzah!
02 January 2010
2010, however, is my year. That's right. MINE!
I'm under no illusion that everything will be handed to me on a golden platter this year. I'm going to have to make it a great year. Thus, I've set three goals that will officially make 2010 my year.
1) Shower more frequently
2) Hold nightly/weekly planning sessions
3) Become independently wealthy
It all starts with the showering. I mean, you don't see dirty rich people. You don't see really clean, homeless bums. So, I figure, if I shower more frequently the natural next step is wealth. It's basically a flawless plan.
Happy New Year, y'all.