25 April 2007

"We read to know we are not alone " C.S. Lewis

When I turned 21 years old I decided that I when I grew up I wanted to be one of those women who loves to read. One of those classically beautiful women that you'd find sitting in a comfortable chair in her perfectly decorated, sunlit living room with a book in her hands and a cup of tea by her side. I can only remember reading approximately 3 books prior to that vision- one about Ramona Quimby, another about Ralph S Mouse and The Lord of the Flies (maybe it was the Cliff Notes version that I read). I just didn't like reading, or so I thought, and thus had pretty poor reading comprehension. So, I figured that if I was going to be someone who loves reading I'd better start reading. And that I did. And I found out that I love it. I love reading. I love books. I love that I can't walk out of B&N without spending at least $50. I love that I have an entire bookcase full of books that I've read. I love that there are a million books out there yet to read.

Now that I'm done studying for the PE exam I finally have time to read again. The first thing I did when I finished the exam was a little trip to B&N. Three books later...

So, I picked up this little number- "London is the Best City in America" by Laura Dave - and finished it in 4 days. It seemed to be an appropriate choice since it deals with the challenges of letting go of the past and having the courage to accept that your life may not turn out to be exactly what you'd planned for it to be. Exactly what I've been dealing with for the last few months. Letting go and moving on. Having faith to believe that the life that awaits me will be better than anything I could possibly imagine for myself. Maybe I'll post more specifics about this later... maybe not.

Anyway. It's a good read. Next on tap is E.M. Forster's "A Passage to India".

3 comments:

nathalia said...

Hm... I'd go with E.M. Forster's A Room With a View (love it!). Then maybe Passage. The only thing that kept me going with Passage were the sporadic poetic paragraphs every 30 pages or so.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My name is Madge and I am a female black beach cruiser bike with a European wicker basket. I was told that I would be able to read about myself and see photos of myself and my sister Penny at this blog site. Can you tell me when that might be possible?

Much thanks,
Madge

Anonymous said...

...did you know that C.S. Lewis died the same day that President Kennedy was assasinated???...just a tidbit of information you probably didn't know...