11 May 2008

SOLD!

"you might miss out on some BEAUTIFUL roadside scenery that you wouldn't see otherwise"

"Just do it a couple times a week and you should be good"

"how effing rad would it be to run the streets of Paris, etc and photodocument your run to post on the blog?"


OK. You've convinced me. Suddenly, I'm super excited to run in Europe! Seriously, how many people (beside the Europeans) can say they've been running in Europe? Plus, the more I run, the more Gelato I get to eat.

And now can I tell you about how my brain misfires sometimes? Keep in mind that when I run I usually just listen to my Nike+ chip/ Ipod to tell me how far I've gone. I love when it says, "X Mile Completed, Y miles to go." So... Once I decided that I indeed WILL be running in Europe I began worrying about how I'd have to mentally convert my distances from kilometers back into miles so that I will be able to track my distance. I'm not kidding. I really believed that suddenly my Nike+/Ipod would automatically tell me my distance in km's because I was running outside of the US. Sadly, I realized that it's not that smart (and neither am I), and then, THEN, a few hours later I had the same conversation in my head all over again. Seriously people. I need help.

5:30pm yesterday was intense. I kept checking the SGM website over and over again and could not get on because so many people were accessing. Until now I thought I didn't really want to get in because even the thought of running 26 miles is daunting. But, once I started checking to see if I pulled for the lottery I had to keep telling myself not to get my hopes up of seeing my name there. But, I wanted in! I don't know if I could have handled the rejection. It's like in the dating world - even though I don't like you I want you to like me. You know what I'm talking about. When I finally got on the site I just expected* not to see my name. But there it was! At first I wasn't sure if that meant I was in. But when I finally realized that I AM DOING THIS RACE I got on the phone with Chloe to tell her that we got in. Screams! Yay! We're in! And we're going to kick this marathon's ass! Boo-Yah!

Chloe is in Vegas this weekend so this morning I went running with her and her brother. I kind of forgot how much I hate to run. But it was nice to have someone to run with. And I kept reminding myself that after I finished I would get that runner's high and remember why I do this. And inevitably it came. It always does!

To celebrate the beginning of marathon training season I went and bought some new running shoes. Asics Cumulus 9. I'm an Asics running shoe whore. It's the only brand I'll even consider wearing. They are white/lightening/orange. Seriously. Lightening! I'm going to be SO FAST! Anyway, the new shoes are sweet! Can't wait to break them in!
*This is what I call the "Theory of Negativity". Always expect the worst then no matter the outcome you will always be pleased because it was better than you expected.

5 comments:

chloe said...

Yay!!! We are going to rock it. And running on vacation is really more fun than running at home. I remember going running in Rome and seeing all kinds of stuff I would have missed otherwise. And I let myself stop if I wanted to look at something more closely. I don't know that running alone at night was smart, but I did it and survived.

J.B. said...

Nice post C-Crop! I dig the Asics as well. Just bought me a pair of Kayanos a few months ago and they have been glorious.

Silvs said...

Hey congrats on getting into St. George! I didn't even bother with the lottery. I couldn't take that kind of rejection. I also endorse running on vacay. You know you'll just feel guilty if you don't.

Anonymous said...

Hope you get notified of new posts or else this is just lost in the pages. I ran whilst in France last summer. We were on the outskirts of Paris, but running in France was great. We are going to Spain this summer and I can't wait to run there.

Anonymous said...

Asics running shoes are best. I am wearing these running shoes for last 3 years and I have no complain. Got a new pair from Eastern Mountain Sports.