13 August 2008

Linkup Breakup

I need to break up with LDSLinkup.

It's gone on too long. As with any good disfunctional relationship I've put off having "the talk" for too long. I won't be delivering the "It's not you. It's me" speech because it's not me. Linkup... it's you.

Frankly, I'm bored and saddened by it. You know how every singles ward in the church pretty much looks and feels the same? Well that's how linkup is. It's the same stereotypical crowd. And even though I love me a good stereotype, logging on has become as depressing as attending a singles ward. Blah.

The real kicker came today as I was reading a young man's profile. It was pretty typical all around, especially the "Who I'd Like to Meet" field- cute, funny, blonde, anorexic, big boobs (OK, so that might not have been exactly what he wrote but I'm pretty sure that's what he meant). His last sentance read "Oh, and a strong testimony wouldn't hurt."

Here it is. I'm not saying that looking for someone with a testimony is wrong. Quite the contrary in fact. When "strong testimony" is listed almost as an afterthought and, more than anything, as the "cherry on top" I seriously weep for our religion. When I see testimony listed as an added bonus and not a "must have" I can see why the adversary's attack on the family is frighteningly as successful as it is.

PS- When I get emails from guys that are signed "hugz" I throw up in my mouth a little bit.

8 comments:

Amander said...

Came across your blog from Maren's, it's totally funny. I've been considering looking into the linkup thing, but now I will most asuredly avoid it. Thanks for the warning!

StevenKatie said...

You make me laugh! All very true. I especially like the hugz bit.

Heather Bay said...

It was pretty typical all around, especially the "Who I'd Like to Meet" field- cute, funny, blonde, anorexic, big boobs (OK, so that might not have been exactly what he wrote but I'm pretty sure that's what he meant).

Haha.. that's so true.

Anonymous said...

...Hi Creepy!!... ha ha ha!!! Mormons are just as flaky as anyone else!!!...After all we are Seriously, So Blessed!!!... You makie me laughie!!! TTFN...and ~*HUGS*~!!!!... LOL....

Vanessa said...

That's hilarious. And sadly, it's true.

Erinn said...

Ohhhhh... I feel your pain, immensely. I complained once about Willow Springs when I had been there a year. I told someone I dont get it, Im totally cuter and doing awesome things now than I ever have been and I havent been asked out in an entire year.

They said... 'dye your hair blond.'

PSH!

Salt H2O said...

Here was one of my rules for the linkup: anyone that put something serious in the 'about me column' or 'who I'm looking for' was out. Instantly displays a personality flaw- taking themselves too seriously.

I got pretty good at filtering on the linkup. (I also only talked to people that didn't have a serious picture of themselves posted)

One week during my unemployment I was EXCEPTIONALLY bored so I created a fictious girl on LDS Singles. I stole a picture from a JCREW catelogue and her title was "Budlight Model with a Teastimony" I made her a doctor, who taught gospel doctrine, and between modeling gigs and her work as a surgeon baked bread for orphans. You would not believe the number of guys that thought she was legit. What was even worse, is these guys had NOTHING to bring to the table. I started getting offended for this fictious girl! She had UVSC students hitting on her.

Anyhow, point being (did I have a point?): Guys think Budlight Models with Testimonies exist and not only that, they think that they'd have a shot with these women.

Heather Bay said...

Dear Salt H20,
You are my new hero.
Your fan,
Heather