26 November 2007

i never thought i'd say this but...

go cougars!


i am NOT a cougar (at least in the alma mater way... otherwise, yes. yes i am a cougar) and most of my friends know that i have a history of cheering against them... mostly just to be annoying but also because the whole cougar-mania thing can be a little (read: a lot) over the top for someone who didn't attend the b.y.

my dad has had byu football season tickets for as long as i can remember and in my youth i spent many a saturday on the metal bleachers of Cougar (now Lavell Edwards) Stadium. however, my loyalties faded when i became an aggie (utah state! hey, aggies all the way! go aggies! go aggies! hey! hey! hey!*) and i could never bring myself to cheer for "that school down south that doesn't believe in agency"**.

but, "train up a child in the way [she] should go: and when [she] is old, [she] will not depart from it" (prov 22:6). on saturday i found myself cheering the cougars on to victory, jumping and screeming at "4th and 18", a moment that will go down in history. i don't know what happened but it felt so strange yet so natural. it's true. i never thought i'd say this but... go cougars!

*congrats to my aggies who won their second game this weekend, thus upping their record to an impressive 2-10. i am proud.
**(almost) direct quote from one of my institute teachers at usu. best thing i ever heard.
***claim to fame: i totally know (read: met once) austin collie. we'd call him a family friend. every play in our play book would be "give it to austin!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow. Cougars? I never thought I'd read something like that from a TRUE AGGIE, but your very logical rationale almost helps cheering for our sworn enemy make sense. Amazing.

p.s. USU has definitely had a rough time with football lately, but if you can just ignore the fact that there is a football season and focus on basketball, things aren't quick as bad. And hockey games? Incredible.