04 October 2007

Twilight

We had book club again last night and our book of choice was Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. I know I'm one of the last people to jump on this bandwagon but to be totally honest with you it's a bandwagon that I had no desire to jump on. I have this thing where sometimes if something is really popular I'm bound and determined to hate it. But, once I give it a try I usually end up loving it as was the case with this book. OK, loving it' might be a bit of a stretch but I really did like it and will definitely be reading the sequels. And Edward? SERIOUSLY! I'd become a vampire for him.

Unlike last month's book (Pride & Prejudice) we knew there probably wouldn't be too much in depth discussion with Twilight so our assignment was to create our perfect movie cast. I kid you not when I say there were PowerPoint presentations involved. We take book club VERY seriously. Anyway, I had so much fun coming up with my cast. Admittedly, not all my characters fit with Meyer's descriptions but they are how I imagine the characters to look. So, I hereby present you with my cast:

BELLA - BLAKE LIVELY
I had the HARDEST time casting Bella but yesterday I finally decided on Blake. She currently plays Serena on my new favorite trashy show Gossip Girl. Maybe Blake is a little too rational and un-klutzy to play the lead character but she's as close as I could find to what I imagine. I think I just really like this girl and want to see her in more stuff.



EDWARD - TOM WELLING
OK, I KNOW he's too old (wait... Edward is like 117...) to play Edward but he is exactly how I imagine our hero. I just can't at ALL picture Edward with light hair. No way. And beautiful Tom (seriously he's like the most stunning person I've ever seen and I really, really need to watch Smallville since I've never watched it) has the light eyes that fit Meyer's description. I really think Tom could portray the full range of emotions, behaviors, etc of Edward. Seriously! He's gorgeous!!



RENEE - SELA WARD
I stole this one from Tifani so I don't have much to say. But Sela seems to fit the physical image I have of Renee at least.



CHARLIE - GARY OLDMAN
Gary is EXACTLY who I imagined from the first time Meyers mentions Charlie in the book.



CARLISLE - BRAD PITT
For some reason (maybe because of the parental role they play) I imagine Carlisle and Esme to look a bit older than the "kids" even though as vampires they don't age. Anyway, Brad (even though I'm kind of sick of him) is my Carlisle because I think he'd make a really hot doctor and have great bedside manner.



ESME - CATHERINE ZETA-JONES
Again, my character doesn't fit Meyers' description but I just imagine Esme to have a darker complexion and be a little more exotic looking. I don't know why. It's just how my brain works. I think Catherine would perfectly portray the softer, more nurturing image I have of Esme.



ROSALIE - SUSAN MAY PRATT
I think Susan (do you like how I'm totally on first name basis with all these people?) would be perfect because of her physique- long and sleek- and her ability to give a serious evil eye (as seen in just about every role she's ever played, which, I might add, is pretty much always the same bitchy character). Susan's complexion and hair color are more fitting to me for the character as opposed to the book's description.



EMMETT - DANIEL CUDMORE
OK, SWOON! I stole this one from Jessie and Tifani. But, this guy is hot.



ALICE - KATE MARA
I think Kate is just beautiful and I happen to like her voice as well. Give her a haircut (short and choppy, not pixie) and I think she'd make a really good Alice.



JASPER - JUSTIN HARTLEY
I had to steal this one from Jessie and Tifani as well but he is perfect for my vision of Jasper. I spent ALL day yesterday (I mean... I WORKED all day yesterday...) looking for someone who would match what I saw in my head but I couldn't find anyone. I was thinking Scott Caan but he's just too little and maybe too quirky. I've never seen Justin in anything (again, I REALLY need to watch Smallville) so I'm only going off his photo for this one. But, he's hot, so that's good enough for me.



JAMES - TAYLOR KITSCH
I hate to think that little Timmy Riggins has an evil bone in his body (except that he's kind of a manwhore) but for some reason I think Taylor could be a really evil James. And having another hot guy in the cast is a very good thing. I have to give honorable mention to Jonathan Rhys Meyers who I really think could play James perfectly because for some reason I really do think he is evil... or ugly... or hot. I dunno. I mean, I liked him in Bend It Like Beckham but otherwise I think he's kinda weird.



JACOB - JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT
I think he's so darling. Always have.


BILLY - GRAHAM GREENE
I mean, really, is there any other option? He's the token Native American in every movie that ever had a Native American in it. Anyway, he really is perfect for the role.



TYLER - ZACH GILFORD
I love me some Matt Seracen. I think Zach would be so cute as Tyler. He's exactly what I imagined for this character. (PS, can you tell I'm excited for the season premiere of Friday Night Lights tomorrow night?)



There you have it. Though, I'm still on the search for a Jessica, Angela and Laurent.
So, what do you think? Who would you cast differently?

Also... I haven't started reading New Moon so DON'T GIVE ANYTHING AWAY especially about how the characters evolve.

10 comments:

Amanda said...

You have a book club? That is awesome. I need to join one or start one or something.

I totally agree with you about the books. I just jumped on the wagon about a month ago. I am hooked. I am waiting my turn for the Tempe Public Library to loan Eclipse to me.

If you are a sucker (hahahah) for the book then check out the website. www.stepheniemeyer.com. She has "outtakes" and stuff like that that didn't end up in the book. She also casts the characters for a movie. And she has the first chapter of Rising Sun (or something like that) which is Twilight but from Edward's perspective. Totally awesome.

I am excited to read the next book. I guess I will write more after you have read New Moon.

Erinn said...

I have heard so very much about these twilight books in recent weeks but I only first heard about them a few weeks ago, lol... what the heck are they?

chloe said...

First of all...fun book club.

Second...I love the casting, except Edward...but it's your cast, so whatever. I just am not the biggest Tom Welling fan. Oh, and Bella...I think she might be a little too pretty. I'll have to watch gossip girl.

Third...Yay for new posts!!!

cropstar said...

Cramster- i totally checked out her website but i haven't had a chance to read the "deleted scenes" but i'm totally going to.

erinn- as strange as it sounds- teenage vampire love story. i know. i wasn't sold on that description either. you just have to read it. it's a super easy read.

chloe- i think you're right about bella. i was wondering if she could "ugly up" a bit for the role. i just haven't found anyone that fits her character better than blake. and yes you DO need to watch gossip girl. it's trashtastic!

TUG said...

I agree with the assessment of your casting for bella. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that can play so unbelievably insecure . . . maybe a young Kate Winslet?

Amanda said...

I don't know her name but what about the girl from Gilmore Girls for Bella?

TUG said...

Aimee Teegarden - the coach's daughter from FNL?

melissa said...

I disagree with your Bella. She's too pretty. She's supposed to be more plain and not obviously beautiful. Other than that, I agree with most of your picks!

Salt H2O said...

I too secretly love Gossip Girl- and I guess I'm going to have to read these darn books.

Anonymous said...

well first...loving this page....
and... well i have a diferent bella in mind if u don't bother...for me ...is alexis bledel from gilmore girls,remember the show?? well I was a fan...anyway she will be my bella...and well i'm kind of obses with twilight so...i did my own cast too I put it on one of this days..maybe you could tellme what do you think jiji