15 October 2007

2 days late but not a dollar short

In conference last week Elder Eyring spoke exactly of what I hope to accomplish through my weekly post.

O Remember, Remember - Henry B Eyring

I wrote down a few lines every day for years. I never missed a day no matter how tired I was or how early I would have to start the next day. Before I would write, I would ponder this question:
“Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done.

More than gratitude began to grow in my heart. Testimony grew. I became ever more certain that our Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. I felt more gratitude for the softening and refining that come because of the Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ. And I grew more confident that the Holy Ghost can bring all things to our remembrance—even things we did not notice or pay attention to when they happened.

I had an awesome experience at Institute on thursday. It was one of the best classes I've ever been in, not because I was learning anything new, but because the Spirit was so strong. It was a testimony to me that the Lord's instruction to stand in holy places is to be taken literally as well as figuratively. As I was sitting in class I realized that it was by choice that I was there. I could have been doing a million other things that needed to be done but at that moment I felt there was no better place that I could have been. I've often heard in church lessons that we can keep ourselves out of trouble if we don't go certain places. But, how often do I consider the other hand wherein I can keep myself in line with the Spirit if I do go to certain places. It follows what Elder Oaks spoke of in conference last week about 'Good, Better, Best'.

I wish I could tell you everything we talked about but I won't. But this Ensign article is AMAZING!

As if the Spirit packed hour and a half of class wasn't enough, God, in all His great mercy, decided to drop a gem in my lap as I was leaving class. You see, for the last 2-1/2 years I've been serving as the RS Pres in my singles ward (clearly I still haven't gotten it right), which means it's my responsibility to minister to the spiritual and temporal welfare of the sisters. Honestly this is the best and hardest calling I've ever had. I love "My Girls" because in some capacity they feel like my children (and some of them almost could be since I'm a full decade *YIKES!* older than some of them). I'm in a constant state of worry about them so when I see or hear that they are on the right track I can't help but feel a sense of pride.

One of my first visiting teaching companions after I was called to this position was a sweet 19 year old who, for some reason or another, didn't always make it to Relief Society on Sunday. I knew from our visiting teaching experiences together that she had a knowledge and testimony of the gospel but still I was always especially concerned for her. Our ward split a while back and she was no longer on my list of sisters to worry about and it had been a long time since I'd seen her. Anyway... sorry, long explaination for a short story... So, thursday night after class I ran into her and got to chat for a bit. When I asked her what she'd been up to she told me she was getting ready to go on a mission to Romania. JOY! I was SO happy to hear that one of "my girls" (because once you are one you always will be one) is spiritually on track and preparing to serve the Lord as a full time missionary.

By no means would I claim to have anything to do with her decision to go on a mission (it's more likely that she's serving, not because of me, but inspite of me). But there is a part of me that feels the Lord giving me a pat on the back and saying, "Good job, kiddo."

2 comments:

TUG said...

Way to put in practice what we learned.

You are a good example.

nathalia said...

I'm sure it was BECAUSE of you that some small part of her was influenced to serve a mission. I'm certainly happy that I got a chance to serve with you. And what a great post! I'm sure all "your girls" love you!