28 March 2008

weight watchers - week 1

I did it. I joined weight watchers*. Although I don't care to admit it, I have what some might consider a "weight problem" (I really tried to find the Chris Farley SNL video clip of him as Bennett Brauer but to no avail... it's so funny). I don't consider myself obese but I am definitely NOT at my ideal weight. I'm physically healthy and active. I can still buy clothes at (most) regular clothing stores. However, that doesn't mean that I'm at a healthy weight for my height and body type. And it also doesn't mean that I'm happy with what I see when I look in the mirror. I've always tried to imagine what I'd look like with a flat stomach, toned arms and slender thighs. Dreams... And I'm not going to lie when I tell you that I honestly believe that every single problem in my life (emotional, physical, financial- no I'm not exaggerating, etc) would disappear if I was at my goal weight. It's not at all rational but that's how my brain works. OK... sorry... I feel like I'm just rambling here.

The point is- I need to lose weight. I want to lose weight.

My friend had motivated me (though her example) to not only get up at 5am 2+ days a week to go to the gym (seriously this is HUGE for me) but to join WW with her. I've been thinking about it for months but haven't had the courage to go on my own. So last week we joined and this morning was our first weigh in. Before I get to the results I'll just tell you that I love going to the meetings. The people there are great (I'm pretty sure I burned 200 calories this morning just from laughing) and I always feel so motivated to be healthy. I'll also tell you that changing my eating habits this last week took a lot of planning. I wasn't perfect. I went over my allotted points a few of the days. I didn't eat as many vegetables or drink as much water as I should have. But I ate so much more healthfully than I have in months. I totally cut out fast food. I actually ate vegetables. I drank tons of water. I did pretty well, even if I do say so myself. It was a struggle at times to walk away from the extra dessert I didn't need or to say no to my 3rd serving of funeral potatoes (my very favorite food in the whole world). But I felt healthier and happier. I'm ready to do even better this upcoming week.

So... how'd I do?

I lost 7.4 lbs!! Woot!! Granted, most people see a big loss the first week of WW but still, I'm SO HAPPY!! I thought I was crazy last night when I thought my shorts fit better than they did last week when I put them on but now it makes sense why. This big loss isn't going to be typical of my WW experience. I don't expect it to. But, I know if I stay on track and plan well then I will be able to achieve my goal weight. Slow and steady wins the race.

*I had a 2 month stint with WW a few years ago where I lost a grand total of 9 lbs then gave up. I got lazy and discouraged when I wasn't losing weight even when I ate crap.

12 comments:

brandi (and tim) said...

Congratulations, that is SO Great! As for your comment - "I honestly believe that every single problem in my life (emotional, physical, financial- no I'm not exaggerating, etc) would disappear if I was at my goal weight." I will tell you that I've felt that way often... maybe a lot of girls do?

Keep up the good work!

~b

the author said...

Congrats!!! That is amazing!

You deserve to celebrate that, because it was all you!

Love you! (and I like exclamation points a lot.)

Mer Swift said...

7.5 pounds is a lot! That is great. And your WW meetings sound fun! I want to go. I'm curious what is said at them. Whenever I'm trying to lose weight, I just make sure I plan really well and I don't stray at all from the schedule. So, I follow my workout schedule to the T and then go to Trader Joe's once a week and get all my salads for my lunches for the whole week. I kind of am addicted to the organization. I can't imagine not doing it.

f*bomb. said...

Wow!
Can you LOSE 7 lbs in one week?!?! I always thought the 1-2 lb rule was the one to follow...but what do I know? I barely understand calories.
From what I understand, the thing about Weight Watchers isn't so much the weight, but the healthy eating habits it instills in you for life. THAT is the key.
Something else I learned (just about health in general): Shock your body. Going to the gym twice a week and running a lot is great, but it's better to work out at a 10 one day, a 2 the next, and a 6 the day after...too much of a routine makes Body feel like a smart-alek and it starts planning ahead. Don't let it.

melinda said...

Oh my gosh, congrats! I totally want to talk to you about this! I've been a secret WW wannabe for awhile now!

Amanda said...

Major major congrats. Way to go. It is hard work to lose weight. I used to go to WW... I lost 25 pounds. Of course since having a baby I gained some back.

You are an inspiration. 7 pounds??? Dang. That is practically a pant size.

Marleen said...

Awesome! Good for you. We are doing a "Biggest Loser" contest in my family this year. Both Spencer and I are fully into it. I'm hoping to win the money grand prize and an amazing bod. I hope you stay with it this time around. I too love funeral potatoes. They should label it addictive.

Ben Thomas said...

Ok... that settles it. You're awesome.

cropstar said...

Thanks everyone! I love you all!!

Ashley said...

Ok, you're so my hero. I keep joining and then doing squat after the first few weeks. I need to get with it! Good for you--it really is a big deal. Hang in there.

Stace_a_base said...

Christy--I'm so proud of you! I love going to the meetings with you. I felt bad about missing my workout before the meeting, but those guys are so funny, that it made up for everything! Just remember "she's a super freak!!"
Love ya!
Staci

LisaBisa said...

I'm so proud of you for doing this. I did WW for several months about a year and a half ago, I needed something to get me going after my surgeries and that was just the thing. Even though I'm not still actively participating in WW, I still use the information I learned from them all the time. You are awesome, I know you'll make your goal but just know you are beautiful NOW!!!