15 July 2008

Day 6: Paris

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

It was lovely not having to wake up at the crack of dawn. We started our day at Notre Dame. I love how it is situated right on the Seine. There is so much to look at. Every inch of the building is covered with detail and hours could be spend just studying the facade.


We tried to tour Sainte Chapelle but it was closed for siesta (I love the idea of siesta except when it conflicts with my plans). So, we went to tackle the Louvre. I didn't go to the Louvre on my last tour of Paris because I had absolutely no interest in art. In the 8 yrs that have passed I've learned to appreciate it so I was excited to taste the delights of the infamous museum. So many famous works of art. We straightway went to see Miss Mona Lisa. I've got to be straight up honest here. I only partially understand the hype behind this piece. I mean, she's just not pretty.

I am absolutely amazed at the large format works. How one person is able to paint on such a huge canvas and have it make sense in the process is absolutely baffling. I was impressed by many things at the museum not the least of which was the shear size of the building and it's classic architecture.


We tried for Ste Chapelle once again but didn't make it there before it closed so instead we opted for Les Halles for a little shopping and our first chance to check email. I was kind of having withdrawls after a week without constant internet access but at the same time I loved not being attached to my email and my cell phone.

We found a sweet little creperie and had delicious savory and sweet crepes and of course I had to have my favorite- Fanta! Fanta in Europe is much better than here in the states. The same can be said for the yogurt. I HATE the yogurt here because it tastes like pure sugar. There, loved it.


In the early evening we went to the Eiffel Tower to assure we would have plenty of time to make it to the top. The view from the highest level is fantastic! Definitely a must when in Paris.

2 comments:

f*bomb. said...

I love you girls.
You're hilarious and I wish I were there.

Reagan said...

I have to live vicariously through my friends that get to take these great trips. Sounds like so much fun. And someone seriously needs to teach me how to do the collage thing with pictures. That is so cool. Is it way too advanced for a novice, or do you think I could learn? love and miss you!

And yes...you can still call me Pearce.