08 July 2008

hot hot heat / race report

i've been in las vegas since 2000. every summer i'm surprised at just how hot it gets. compared to my fam and friends outside vegas i'm somewhat of an acclimatized freak. anything below 80 is downright frigid.

however, when it gets hot it is HOT! mama pajama! this is the first summer that i am (read: should be) seriously training and the heat has wreaked havoc on my ability to keep to the schedule. i can always find an excuse- in the mornings i can't wake up early enough, in the daytime it's too damn hot, in the evenings it is too dark. i've resorted to doing my short runs (3-4 milers) at the gym in the evenings. 6.25 laps/mile is dizzying but much better than heat stroke. plus sometimes there are hot guys at the gym to look at. i haven't found a solution to beating the heat so i've decided i've just got to suck it up and make it work.

so, today is the day that i get back on track, not only with running but with all the things in life i've slacked on in the last few months. i decided to do my 3 miler in my neighborhood after sunset. i live in a very safe neighborhood with nice wide streets, security patrol and plenty of folks out walking their dogs. so i decided i'd be safe enough, threw on my reflective vest for good measure and headed out. 98 degrees. sad thing is that it didn't feel that hot once i started running. scary right? 98deg not feeling hot? that's just weird. anyway... it was a great run- averaged 10:38 splits. now i feel ok about heading out after dark in order to stick to my training (as long as i offer a little prayer for safety before i go).

while in UT for the holiday weekend i once again participated in the Freedom Festival 10k. i have a special place in my heart for this race as it is really the race that got me addicted to running. last year i got to run it with 2 great friends. this year... just me. just me alone at the start line looking out of place and friendless waiting for the gun to go off. i ran slower than i'd hoped but felt great through the whole race. and my sweet daddy was there waiting for me at the finish line. love him for that.

my only photo from the race

now... elevation. let's chat about it. i've been wondering how much it really affects me or if i'm just always under-trained during my races. i train at around 2000ft but do all my races in UT (why? i dunno...) at around 4000ft. so tonight i've concluded that it does indeed slow me down! the 10k i averaged 12:00 splits. typically in vegas i average 11:00 splits. that's a pretty big difference. can i attribute that soley to elevation? still figuring that one out.

3 comments:

Silvs said...

Hey...I was wondering about the heat thing because sometimes when I'm like dang, it's so hot here, and it's only in the high 80s, sometimes I think of you and wonder how in the world you can manage with the Vegas heat. That would be so rough.

As far as elevation...I heard that for every thousand feet of elevation (up) that it takes at least a week to get acclimated to the difference in oxygen. The air is just thinner so it definitely makes it harder to run. So I've heard...

Good luck with the training! I love the occassional pop-ins I get from you. Keep it up!

Kara said...

Elevation really does have a big effect. I always feel more sluggish (and run slower) in UT. It's kind of annoying after many years of elevation working in my favor!

Too keep myself from blaming laziness on elevation, I usually set a goal that takes it into account-- a little slower than I would race in LV, but still a decent time.

Another solution-- run at Red Rock or Mt Charleston on occassion, just to keep your lungs exercised.

Anne said...

I can say, with some authority that elevation makes a huge difference!!!