09 July 2008

So, I'll keep running.

Running for me is 25%physical and 75% mental. Too many times I battle with my brain. Can I actually do this? Is this going to kill me? If I can make it to mile 2 I'm usually good. But every so often I can't out run that voice. That was the case tonight. I had 5 miles on the schedule but by the time I was able to lace up the shoes it was too dark outside to spend an hour on the road. Maybe I didn't go because I was afraid of the 5 miles I should have done. I figured doing something was better than skipping the run altogether so I headed to the gym to lay down a few miles on the track. I forgot my ipod so it was me and the track. The sound of my shoes hitting the track was an unfamiliar, yet empowering sound. I started out strong and felt good throughout my run but I was only able to tack down 3 miles. M1- 10:05, M2- 10:45, M3- 11:00.

The voice was still there, questioning. How am I ever going to be able to run 26 miles at one time if I can't even get past 3 miles. What was I thinking when I decided to run a marathon? It's not too late to quit. Even if I keep training I still have almost 3 months to decide not to do it. It's ok to give up.

I was even more discouraged by the pain in my left knee- most likely my partially torn ACL, an old indoor soccer injury. I went through physical therapy a few years ago and haven't had a single problem with it since. I recognized the pain and decided it wise to resume some of the exercise I did in therapy. Hopefully within a few weeks it'll be strong again.

As I left the gym something occurred to me. Every time I look at how many miles are on the schedule for the day I get scared. Down right scared. Of what? I'm not sure- failing? not finishing? dying? Maybe I'm just scared that even though I know I can do it, it's going to be difficult. And that difficulty in and of itself is scary. But, then I remembered that of all the things I've accomplished in my newborn running career, I haven't yet died. I've never collapsed during a run. I've never come in last at a race. I've never even felt wasted afterwards. Sure it's been hard. Sure it's been hot. Sure every time I run I remember that I hate running. But, never fail, that runner's high comes as soon as I've accomplished what I set out to accomplish- be it 3 miles or 13 (my longest distance to date). So, I'll keep running.

When I got home I had an email update in my inbox from the Spirit of the Marathon. I went to the website, not realizing that the movie preview would automatically start playing. It was a sign from the running gods I'm pretty sure. This is what I want. I want to run those 26.2 miles. I want to quell that voice that says I cannot accomplish this. I will finish! I will keep running!

I'm sure most of you who run have seen this already but here it is again as a reminder of why we do what we do. The movie comes out on DVD this fall. Can't wait. I'm going to watch it over and over and over.

5 comments:

the author said...

I know I leave comments like this a lot... a lot? I dunno... ...Anyway, I read your blog tonight and I just wanna say that I seriously love you, Christy.

You rock.

You inspire me.

You're beautiful.

(I heart you!)

cropstar said...

Thanks Val.
I needed to hear that today.
I love you too!

Erinn said...

I can totally relate. When I was an active runner I felt the same way you did. So instead of a number I had paths marked out in my mind throughout Peccole Ranch. Certain routes were longer than others. I would make up my mind when I was running how far I would go. You can get a 10 mile non-redundant route out of that community. Mr.Peccole specifically built that community for runners because his daughter was one. You live in the right place for great training!

Keep it up Christy! You and my sister Emily are like seriously the most amazing people I know!

brandi (and tim) said...

Holy crap, this video makes it sound so much harder than it really is. I guess that's why those people are champions, I've never put THAT much into it. I ran the St. George when I was 12 years old (the first time) and it took me something like 6+ hours to finish, and there were still people behind me. Oh yeah, and I pretty much didn't train for it - my longest run had been about 6 miles - so if that was possible for me to finish, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that you will be AWESOME. Just stick with your training and stay hydrated - it always makes a huge difference with me. If you ever want to run together at the gym, email me at timandbrandi@gmail.com - I think we're at about the same level right now.

~b

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a great post. Very inspiring. Thanks for posting that clip too. You're obviously very dedicated to doing this...there's no doubt in my mind that you will!