17 September 2008

26.2 in 16 days? really?

Lest you think the only thing I blog about anymore is politics and because I know you've all missed my running posts here's one for ya. The reason for their absence is because I've been totally absent from the running scene. This is a problem. Why? Because in 16 days I'm supposed to run 26.2 miles. You know how much I've run in the past 2 weeks? 3 miles. And I did that tonight.

So, here's my dilemma- should I do it? I see great potential for injury and/or death upon attempting to run the full marathon but seriously I'll die a little inside if I don't do it. 13.1 miles- no problem. Beyond that- big mystery and/or death. What to do? What to do?

Here's another option: I'm also registered for the LV full marathon the first weekend in December which would give me 2 more full months to train. So, in the unlikely case that I don't do St George I could just get more training in for LV. But... St George is so much cooler than LV! Lit'rally and figuratively. Bah!

This is a conundrum.

So, about my run tonight. I could say I haven't had time to train but the truth is I haven't TAKEN the time to train. I've been lazy and/or pursuing other interests (read: photography and singstar). But I've been feeling so tired, lackluster, lackadaisical and melancholy lately that I knew I couldn't let anymore time pass without getting some exercise and boosting up my endorphin level. So, I went to the gym and decided to run for 30 minutes to see how I felt. I felt great. But then again it was only 3 miles. And then I came home and ate cupcakes... (seriously, I've been on this baking cupcakes kick and I am AMAZING at making cupcakes. Last week- red velvet. This week- cookie dough. COOKIE! DOUGH!)

Anyway... my conclusion is thus: I'm gonna seriously train for the next 2 weeks and see how things go. If by then I feel like I won't die on the course or get picked up by the clean up crew I'll take my chances with the race. Wish me luck!

10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Forget the race. Let's talk more about these cupcakes.

Mucky-Muck Maren said...

I believe you promised PROMISED me a red velvet cupcake. Where is said cupcake? I need a cupcake, badly.

PS - how are you liking this book "Possession?"

cropstar said...

remember how i told you i ate all the red velvet cupcakes? oops.
but there will be cookie dough cupcakes at my house aaaaall weekend. come on over. i believe you are due for some singstar as well.

also- possession. liking it. still at the beginning so i'm curious about when it's going to get exciting.

Anonymous said...

Go for December and make an honest effort of it...and....bring me a cupcake and go to Seaworld & SD Zoo with us ASAP!

KC

Erinn said...

I say wait for December and do it then. Be more strict with yourself. Thats too much of a shock to your body.

My friend, who has done a few marathons, was slacking before the Boston. He literally passed out at the finish line in the arms of an emt. They immediately had to hook him up and make sure he wasnt dying.

If it was a half, Id say sure, 26 though, yikes! btw... you and Emily are my heros, seriously.

Carrie Samantha Miranda Charlotte said...

...DUH!!!... I told you I would get you those wheelie shoes for the 2nd half!!!... does it say in the rule book that you can't wear those??? Anywho...Can you hurry and decide because your aunt would probably like to know if you are using her condo...AND more importantly I need to figure out what I am doing that weekend since it is the Lords Holy Conference that weekend!!!!... Plus I wanted to have S.in the C. video party or go to Yellowstone... So can you let a sista know!!!...
p.s is it sac-relige to have a S in the C, video party the same weekend as conference???

Silvs said...

Nooooooo! What have you done??? Or not done, rather. Have you even had the long run of 20 miles yet? Now is when you're supposed to be tapering, not packing the miles in. If you haven't cleared at least 18 miles, I'd say it's a bad idea to shoot for the marathon, especially since you haven't even run in the last couple weeks.

And while Singstar and cupcakes are both very worthwhile activities, you can't short yourself on the training.

Anne said...

I'm with Silvs. If you've gotten a good long run in, then you'd probably be ok. The great thing about St. George is that most if it is downhill (I'm looking at the elevation chart as I type this), so you might be able to coast through it. In fact, I was injured for a good portion of my training and unable to run for a few weeks and I still made it.

St. George gives awesome finishers medals, if that is any motivation...

chloe said...

um...if it affects your decision...I might need to put my St. George off until next year. Between injury and school, I'm a wreck.

f*bomb. said...

O- Please don't do this to yourself! It's dangerous and just SO not worth the pain!

In other news- still- your progress is AMAZING. Revel in how far you've come over the last few months, not how far you'd have to go just to prove a short-term point.

Red Velvet...ooooh...