02 September 2008

scavenger hunt

For the first time in 9 years (yikes) I actually had to pay attention to when school starts in the fall. And for the first time (maybe ever) I was actually excited about it. I'm taking a photography class at the colleeege because I figure having a fancy schmancy camera isn't really worth the investment if you only use it on automatic mode.

Last monday was the first class and I loved it, though I've never felt simultaneously smarter and stupider. I finally understand what f-stop, shutter speed and ISO are. However, I don't know yet how to use them properly. I'm very much a hands on learner so all those words only took me so far. Now I've got to put them into practice and see if I can get some decent exposures (that sounds dirty).

Anyway... I'm scared. Typical Cropstar M.O. is thus: If you're not instantly good at something, don't even try. If it's not going to turn out perfectly, don't even start. So, I'm scared that my photos aren't going to be print-ad quality right off the bat. I know, I know... this is beginning photography and I shouldn't expect to be a pro after the first class. But I really hate not being good at stuff (ya know... because it's so rare that I'm not good at stuff). So, I'm trying to convince myself that if my first assignment is less that stellar then by the end of the semester it'll just look like I've really improved (hopefully). But, really I just want to be better than everyone else in the class.

Here's the part where I come to you for help, my dear readers... all 3 of you... I need some ideas. My first assignment is a photo scavenger hunt. I am to shoot 24 things from a list we compiled as a class:

  1. traffic
  2. architecture
  3. automotive
  4. nature
  5. texture
  6. water
  7. child
  8. pet
  9. color
  10. landscape
  11. family
  12. fashion
  13. light
  14. sports
  15. motion
  16. close up
  17. emotion
  18. portrait
  19. insect
  20. music
  21. technology
  22. food
  23. smile
  24. shadow

any cool ideas of what i could shoot?

1 comment:

Rob and Mercedi said...

Hey, this is Mercedi, I found your blog through Becky's. She's raved about how funny it is, so now I fully plan on stalking you.

I took this class last year. It was really helpful to learn how my camera worked. But I just don't have a good eye to be a photograher. My friend is a photographer and has a weekly challenge that she posts on her blog. It might give you some ideas for the scavenger hunt. Her blog is http://redrockstudios.blogspot.com/
Good luck and please post your photos.