01 October 2008

blood update

Rough day at the blood bank. I'm not sure what's going on with my blood but apparently I am not the amazing blood donor I once was. Single tear...

I thought things were going to be ok. Iron was good. Pulse was good- I pulled a 50bpm which is the minimum within the acceptable range. Phew! I should have known there was a problem though when I had to get pricked twice in order to get enough blood for the iron sample. But at least I only had to get the blood pressure taken once.

So, they got me all plugged in. Getting stuck with the needle hurt way worse than I remember. But the blood started flowing. I was pumping my fist every 3-5 seconds... ok maybe clinching would be a better term. But how awesome would it be to be fist pumping at the blood bank... or just fist pumping anywhere for that matter. Anyway... typically when I donate I do an automated red cell donation (as opposed to a whole blood donation) where they take out some blood which is automatically separated into red blood cells and plasma. Then the plasma along with a saline solution are pumped back into you and the process is repeated 3 times. In the end you end up donating 2 units of blood (with whole blood you only donate 1 unit).

I started thinking that the first segment was taking a really long time and just then the lady (phlebotomist?) told me I had low blood flow. Huh? Me? She was concerned that my vein wouldn't be able to accept the plasma/saline back in and she didn't want to explode it and cause me a lot of bruising (bless her heart). So, she decided to terminate the donation. I was still able to donate one full unit but I was so disappointed in my veins. And I got a little bruise - on my arm and my ego.

Here's my analysis:

I think I'm turning into a vampire. Think about it- I've been suffering from mild insomnia for the past year. I'm close to comatose during the day. My blood flow is seriously slowing down. I have vampire fangs (seriously, ask my sister. She makes fun of them all the time). I am really pale (or was last week before going to the beach). I really like the band Vampire Weekend. And I have no shadow (maybe this is not true).

What do you think?

7 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Well, unless you sparkle when you go into the sun, and stalk people outside their bedroom windows, I'm thinking not a vampire.

cropstar said...

I have been told I sparkle.

And stalking- check!

Uh oh. This is bad news.

Mucky-Muck Maren said...

You forgot to mention you hate dogs. You are totally a vampire.

melissa said...

Ok, maybe...but if you're pale, then what does that make Tifani and I?? Are we vampires on the verge, or did we just get stuck at that no pigment thing?

C and C Young said...

Can I be a part of your vampire posse??? Tres chic.

Anonymous said...

Said only as a concerned sister could say this, but...Do you think maybe you should go to the doctor?? You might be dead and not even know it yet....trust me, I see dead people. ;)

KC

Carrie Samantha Miranda Charlotte said...

...First of all this may be a result of reading the DUMBEST books in the whole wide world... which were about vampires... I think you have health problems all blame-able on Stephanie Meyer!!!!...

...Next I don't think you sparkle that much...While it is true that you have vampire fangs!!!! ...you only stalk people ONLINE so I don't think that counts either!!!...

...Third... I second the comment from KC...