09 February 2009

30 for 30: Recap

I can say without hesitation that 30 was seriously one of the best years of my life. Nothing huge or overwhelming happened. It was the best because I felt happy for the entire year (which was a huge relief from kind of crappy years 27, 28 & 29). Just REALLY happy.

Alas, 30 couldn't last forever, which is just really unfortunate... but then again, maybe I'll just lie about my age and 30 really CAN stay forever! Anyway, here's a recap of the 30 things I planned to do this year.

30 for 30

  • run a half marathon - Check! In fact, I ran 3 of them (Moab, SLC & Hobble Creek) and LOVED each one. The half is now my favorite distance and I will continue to run several each year.
  • take a continuing education class - Check! I took a beginning photography class at CSN. I did not expect to fall in love with it as much as I did, nor did I expect it to launch me into a new career.
  • read "The Count of Monte Cristo" (unabridged version) - Check! That's a good book.
  • stay out all night - Check! I learned to carry a toothbrush with me at all times because you just never know when you're not going to go home.
  • write a short story - Half Check. Consider it a VERY short story. I wrote the first part. I still intend on writing the middle and the end.
  • karaoke in a crowded bar - Check! "Total Eclipse of the Heart" never sounded so good. By the way... it's a very, very, very long song.
  • attend an mlb playoff game - Half Fail. I bought my tickets for a playoff game that never happened. Boo.
  • use a fake name/story - Check! You can call me "Shelby".
  • road trip to nowhere - Fail! Unless you consider Utah "nowhere".
  • play in the rain - Check!
  • make a budget and at least try to stick to it - Super Fail!
  • kiss someone in a crazy location - Fail! I don't even want to talk about this one.
  • attend church services of a different religion - Fail!
  • cook with homegrown herbs - Fail! I didn't even try to grow them.
  • go skinny dipping - Fail!
  • confess to a crush - Fail! I should probably have made this "get a crush". OK, truth be told, I did get a crush. But it was a girl crush and I never got the courage to confess to her because I was 200% sure she'd freak out and never talk to me again.
  • have a spa day - Fail! The sad thing is I really deserved it.
  • make a rad bleach pen shirt - Check! I made several and have more in the works. Who wants one?
  • hike havasupai - Fail! I had my trip planned and everything. Then, a couple of weeks before the trip a flood wiped the whole place out. Very dissappointed!
  • go one month without tv - Fail! I hardly watch TV anyway. I did go a whole month without soda though.
  • swing on a rope swing - Fail! I didn't even SEE a rope swing.
  • take photos in a photo booth - Super Fail! It seemed so easy and fun that I kept putting it off until it was too late. Bad idea.
  • go to a drive in movie - Check! One of the greatest nights of my life.
  • read the Book of Mormon in french - Fail! At least I read it in english. Too bad I only read it once.
  • get a stamp in my passport - Super Check! Amazing trip! Though I should probably finish blogging about it.
  • buy a digital SLR camera - Check! It changed my life.
  • ride a horse - Fail! Very sad about this one.
  • transition to a family ward gracefully - Check! And I love it. A lot. I don't miss the singles ward AT ALL.
  • lose 20lbs - Half Check. I lost it, but then I gained half of it back at the holidays. Oops.
  • get married - Fail! But I'm totally cool with that.

14 out of 30. Well, it ain't bad but it ain't good either. Regardless, it was a fantastic year.

5 comments:

Anne said...

I turn the big three oh this year and I'll be honest, it's been consuming my life. It's not that I'm dreading it by any means, but I feel like I need to do something HUGE to commemorate it. The problem is, I have what I like to call completion disorder (some may call it ADD) so I don't ever make goals because 9 times out of 10 I will FAIL. Which doesn't necessarily get me down, it's just, why make the effort in the first place if you're not going to follow through?!

Anyways, way to go on your list, that is awesome! I have been salivating over your bleach pen shirts so I would gladly volunteer you to make one for me. :) Seriously...want me to send you a shirt so you can make me a kick ass bleach pen shirt? Because I totally will.

Amander said...

I like your list! And congrats on finishing all those things (and also, I'm giving you a negative congrats for the Utah accent, but a positive congrats for being one step closer to crazy).

The Black Widow said...

I feel really terrible about the horses... that one is my fault. I take total blame Shelby!

Rebekah said...

This is such a cool idea. 30 for 30. I love it! I'll be 30 next year, making a cool list like this might make it more interesting and not so depressing:)

j said...

christy! when the crap did i miss your birthday?! i thought facebook reminds us of such things...happy late birthday!

i love this list- and you did so many of them! it's a good reminder to me that i need to be making some goals- even just for fun, do it cause i can types of goals. :)