26 June 2007

natural reaction

I just ran 5 miles and I feel like I'm going to puke. Is that normal?
I used www.walkjogrun.net to calculate my distance (and calories burned- 800! wow!). This is a really cool website that uses google maps wherein you can plot out your route and figure the distance.
My neighborhood provides a great running route because it has really wide roads, is fairly well lit and has drinking fountains about every half mile. This saved me because for the last 3/4 of my run I felt pretty parched. My main motivation was just getting to the next drinking fountain! I don't do a good job of drinking enough water in general so I can attribute my thirst to this but how do I stay hydrated during my runs? Especially during the 10k next week where I don't know if I'll be able to drink every half mile? Help!
I loved Chloe's idea of combining running and walking with music. I followed her lead in running 4 songs followed by walking 1 song. I love the idea of planning my walking segments. Makes me feel not so guilty about walking. Having to run through 4 full songs kept me going farther than I would have otherwise I think. It worked really well.
Since Vegas is hot as hell (literally, I'm sure) I've been running on the track at my gym (5-1/2 laps per mile- ugh) so that I wouldn't melt. But this evening I wanted to get out on the streets to get a better feel of what the 10k will be like. You know what makes running outside harder than the indoor track? Wind and Hills. Ouch! But it was a lot more fun to be outside. I waited until 8pm to go out (I wanted to go at 5am but couldn't drag my butt out of bed) and it felt pretty nice. It got dark a little faster than I'd expected and I don't like running outside and night alone for safety reasons, naturally. But I did it anyway. I figure I'd rather get attacked, hit by a car, abducted by aliens, etc, etc... than have to run in afternoon in 105degree heat. No way!
But, aside from feeling like I'm going to puke I feel pretty good about my run esp since I haven't really been running at all the last 2 weeks. I'm such a slacker! I'm really excited about the 10k next week though!
I had a few new motivations tonight. New toys always motivate me :) Behold!
My new running shoes!! Asics Nimbus VIII. LOVE THEM! I'm pretty sure I can run faster and farther now that I've got these babies.

AND... My new ipod shuffle (aptly named "cropstarrunner") that I can't even tell I'm wearing. It's so great esp considering I was using my 30gig video ipod before which I swear weighs 100lbs when I'm running. Only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have a stopwatch on it. Oh well. I think it's pretty cute and looking good is the most important thing when running, right?

3 comments:

chloe said...

First of all...finally, a new post.

Second, where are you at in Vegas (you can email me)? I'm going to be down this weekend and need to run 5 miles on Saturday, so if you're close to where I'll be, maybe we can run together?

Third, love the new shoes. Don't new shoes just make you happy???

Fourth, glad the run/walk idea was helpful. I know if I plan the walking, than my perfectionistic failure instincts don't kick in and I can run again.

Fifth, I am super excited for the Freedom Run (and so glad to be running with someone I "know").

melissa said...

Look at you! I haven't even been to the gym in over a month, so kudos to you for running! P.S. I love that your shoes are called the Nimbus, like Harry Potter's old broom. I'm going to assume the shoes are just as fast!

Heather Bay said...

K, so you're the third person I know to recently blog about running and then proclaim love for the iPod shuffle. I think I totally need to get one. Today.

What's the clip like? How secure is it?