12 February 2008

Striding with behind the Striders

Saturday morning I woke up at the ungodly hour of 6:30am. I don't even wake up before 8:30am to go to work! So, why would I wake up that early on a saturday? To go running. Yes. Running. That's how broken my brain is about this sport.

I'd taken a week off of running because I was feeling super exhausted and super unmotivated. So having people to meet up with was just what I needed to kick myself back into gear. It was my first time running "with" the Summerlin Striders and they were beyond welcoming and encouraging. And it was a gorgeous morning to boot! There were around 15 people, mostly 40 somethings with 5 kids and most of them LDS, which was a nice bonding point. The core of the group has been running together for years but there were some new faces. Most were doing a 13 mile run but a few of us opted for the 8 mile route. My only hope was that I finished my 8 miles before everyone else finished their 13 and thank goodness I did (but not by much). I started at the back of the pack because I really didn't need to watch everyone pass me (which was inevitable). We all know I'm a slow runner and it was confirmed as I was behind everyone for the entirety of the run. It was a continuation of the mental game I always have to play trying to assure myself that I need only to run at my own pace. I'm not racing against others, I'm racing against myself. I'm not racing against others, I'm racing against myself. The last half of the run was all uphill and a KILLER! I've only been running flat terrain until now (which is a big mistake in my training I realize) so I was not used to the extra work it takes to go uphill and the added potential for blisters. I got my first "almost blister" of my running career due to that damn hill. I used my fuel belt for the first time nad LOVED IT! I only took 2 of the 4 bottles and had Gatorade in one and water in the other which was a nice combo. I couldn't even tell I had it on and it was so nice to have a pocket for my keys and lip balm, etc. Highly, highly recommended.
But, I will say that it was a really great run. I loved the Striders and am looking forward to running with them again! 8.5 miles, 1hr30+minutes (can't remember right now).

Last night I did 5 miles on the treadmill and it kicked my trash! I never run on the treadmill but I didn't feel like doing 27. 5 laps on the track and it was too dark to run outside. Let me tell you. It sucked. I really feel horrible for all you people who live in freezing cold weather and have to train on treadmills. And if I could just rub it in your face a little more- yesteday it got up to 70degrees here in Vegas. It was SO nice! If only the 115degree summer weren't right around the corner I'd be even happier about it. The upside of training on the treadmill was that I got to watch an hour of American Gladiators! AMAZING!

2 comments:

chloe said...

Two things: First, I'm so glad you like the fuel belt. I love mine. Second, if you're not going with the Striders this Saturday and you're going to be in town (I will be), I'm going to be in town and we could do a run together (I'd need early, but maybe like 7:30).

the author said...

You rock.