28 February 2008

punch dancing out my rage

Last night (this morning?) at 2am I was ready to quit work, quit church, quit running and everything else and run away and curl up in a ball and hibernate until my stress level returned to normal (5 months min).

BUT! Today... well, this afternoon was really fantastic and I'm feeling great again and ready to tackle my super long to-do list.

Everything came to a head on tuesday afternoon when I found out I missed a meeting at work that I didn't even know about. So, not only did I have to explain things to my boss (who is always super cool about everything) I had to do the most degrading thing a structural engineer could ever do. I had to grovel at the feet of an architect. blerg! (FYI- it should always be the other way around.) It was not my proudest moment. So our meeting was rescheduled to this afternoon which meant I had to pretty much have the project finished. Problem was that I was only half way done. Last night I was at the office until 2am (but don't worry. I got to watch Project Runway while I was working) and got back this morning at 8am. I worked straight until the last second before I had to leave to get there on time. I wasn't as far along as I'd hoped and I knew I was already walking on thin glass with the architect/builder so I was very apprehensive about the meeting. Luckily he was in a good mood and I'm not going to lie. I was fantastic. I owned that meeting! My boss came with me as sort of a buffer and as we were on our way back to the office he lavishly praised me for how well I handled the meeting and that he was able to just sit back and listen. Until recently if he and I were at the same meeting I'd be the one sitting back not saying a word (call it what you may- my own inferiority comples, women in a male dominated workplace, whatev...) So it was a triumphant moment for me (and for him as my mentor) and made all the stress of the last few days dissappear. So once again, I love my job. Life is beautiful, etc, etc.

To top off the afternoon I made my coworkers watch a few scenes from Hot Rod. Hilarious? Yes. Hell yes. If you haven't seen it I highly suggest at least just watching this punch dancing sequence. Remind you of anything?


And if you need more motivation to run out to redbox and get this movie tonight here's the full preview:

6 comments:

Jess said...

So glad things are better and that you rocked the meeting. Of course, you were fantastic. Because...you are fantastic.

Silvs said...

Oh man I love the Dudes so much. Did you get out to the 311 show?

Silvs said...

I love the blog-stalk convo. No I didn't. I would have been flying solo and I would have had to leave work early to get out to Vegas in time.

C and C Young said...

I agree that you are fantastic--go out and kick all the boys' butts. I love "The Runway" can't wait 'till the finale--make it work!

melissa said...

I'm glad you are feeling better about life, my dear. Also...I.Love.Hot Rod. Seriously - I nearly peed my pants. We shall watch it together when I get home and punch dance out our rage together.

the author said...

I love you, Christy.

I have been on 3 runs since I told you that I wanted to do the half with you in SLC. I still want to.

(I actually think it may work. I am crossing my fingers and working hard, okay!)

Your blog is so fun to read!