19 January 2008

a caucusing we'll go...

I'm not gonna lie. I pretty much have a crush on Mitt. And yes, we're on a first name basis...

I decided that it's time to get political. I've been pretty apathetic my whole life (that's what happens when you grow up in the most Republican state in the union). Now that I'm in a state where my vote really matters (not to say that Utahan's votes don't count... they totally do, esp since the state has become much more diverse than when I lived there) and because of the early intensity of this upcoming presidential campaign I've found myself drawn into the election coverage, learning about the candidates and forming opinions of my own about the political issues of the day and the candidates.

Thursday I attended a rally for Mitt which featured none other than the Mitt himself! It was fantastic. I whooped and hollered and I'm pretty sure I had a few good fist pumps in there. It was a lot of fun to see him in person. With my very own eyes!

Don't worry. I'm not one of those Mormons who is voting for him just because he's a Mormon. I actually agree with him on most of the issues. I honestly feel he is the best candidate to fill the Presidency. I could go on about this, and why I think some of the other candidates are certifiably crazy. But, I won't. Y'all are probably much smarter than I am on the topic and I don't really feel like getting taken to court just yet because might not know what I'm talking about. In fact, at the rally I caught myself forgetting that Mitt was a Mormon and thinking "Man! This guy really has a lot of the same moral stances as I do and would make a really good Mormon." Yeah, sometimes my brain breaks. I had to laugh when I realized what I was thinking. No wonder!

This morning was the Nevada Caucus and I attended, having done a bit of research before hand so that I would have some sort of clue what to expect. It was a really neat and educational experience. Thursday at the rally I told my friend that I wanted to be a delegate but maybe not really since I wasn't sure what a delegate did. But still, I kinda wanted to be one. Well guess what. I'M A DELEGATE! And I'm pretty dang excited about it! At my precinct meeting I had the opportunity to fill one of the positions so I jumped at the chance. So, I'll be attending the Clark County Convention in late February and I'm considering nominating myself to become a state delegate. I've been mentally preparing my speech all day. Perhaps I'll deliver it to you when I've got it polished up.

Anyway! Interesting morning. I caucused. I became a delegate. I really feel like I'm doing my civic duty! This is a first! I even stayed after and helped count the votes. And, by the time I got home from the caucus several national news networks were already reporting Mitt's win. Hurray!

Here are some photos and a video from the rally on Thursday.






5 comments:

TUG said...

Very Cool.

Congratulations on your political life.

Welcome to the club

Amanda said...

So you never quite said what a delegate actually does...

Okay, I am not 100% up on my political process here...

Salt H2O said...

I'm so totally and completely jealous.

Mitt is the man! WOO HOO for ECONOMIC CONSERVATISM!!

nathalia said...

I'm so proud to say I know a DELEGATE! That's so cool to me! Way to be involved.

f*bomb. said...

I am so excited to read your speech! I'm not a Mitt supporter myself (wish I could be! I like him PERSONALLY- just not POLITICALLY), but I am always interested in what people have to say.
PRINT THAT SPEECH, YO!