22 January 2008

How 6 becomes 7 and Why I Run

What I learned on my 6 mile run:

- Be sure to put your GU in a pocket with a zipper or it will fall out when you're sprinting across the street with no traffic light and you'll be really disappointed at mile 4 when you were going to eat it.
- The "Run 4 songs, Walk 1 song" is so perfect for me, keeps me going and doesn't make me too tired.
- The Nike+ chip and my new Ipod Nano are fan-freakin'-tastic! That little voice marking down the miles for you makes the run more exciting.
- Never leave the house without a hat when it is cold and windy. My ears were killing! Luckily the wind died down at mile 3.
- Trying to do 6+ miles without water is not a good idea. Good thing the fuel belt I ordered is on its way to my house!
- The sun goes down by 4:45pm so trying to do finish my 6miles before sunset means I have to start running at 3:30pm. Maybe I need to quit my job.
- Measuring your run on WalkJogRun isn't always totally accurate. Going on a 6 mile loop run might turn into 7 miles just to get home. Good thing I had a something left in me to get me home!
- Starting your run on a hill into the wind will tire you out in a quick hurry. It's ok to curse the Gods of Running at that point.
- It's totally normal to want to quit and go home after running 1/2 a mile. But if you keep on going you'll soon find your pace and before you know it you'll have finished your run.
- Running is awesome!

The run was actually really good. I felt good the whole time (if not a bit thirsty- bad!) and it felt good to go for so long. My 6 mile mark I was at 63'20". Not bad!

The other day I confessed to my non-runner friend that I actually hate running. Her question to me: "Then why the HELL do you do it?!"
I think only runners can understand the answer to that question. Granted, in the moment, running is not fun. It can be hell to be quite honest. But the answer has something to do with the fact that every moment that I'm not running I'm thinking about running and want to be running. It has to do with that feeling right after you finish your run. That sense of accomplishment! Maybe it's indescribable. But that's why I run. Why do you run?

These quotes from "The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide for Women" by Dawn Dais are so dead on!

"But one thing you'll learn after you cross the big finish line, and all the little finish lines in the middle, is that rarely will you find glory without struggle. The things that are easy? The things that make sense? Those aren't the things you talk about for years to come. The aren't the things you hang on your wall with pride. "

"Even after you start training you'll wonder if your limit might be more Fun Run and less 26.2-Miles-in-a-Row Run. But you will continue to run and you will continue to surprise yourself with your ability to keep running right past those weeks on your training calendar that once seemed so insurmountable. And you'll realize that the only real limitation you ever had was your inability to see what you were actually capable of all along."

6 comments:

chloe said...

Amen!!! So, which belt did you get???

nathalia said...

You're inspiring! I don't get the obsession with running, but I'm glad that you're obsessed!

Erinn said...

Running/exercising makes me feel ten times better than I did before it started :) You get on like a high.. I do believe they actually call it runners high!

Mer Swift said...

Christy,
I thought I'd comment, because I've looked at your blog already once or twice and haven't yet! I really like your running quotes. I also hate running, but I force myself to do it. That's just how it is. I like that you have people you "blogstalk" on your page. I really liked the "Modern, serious dating is dead" one.

f*bomb. said...

So THAT's what I'd feel if I ever bothered to run more than a few miles at a time...
Personally, I don't believe I have those endorphins everyone talks about. I'm pretty much just pissed the entire time. Until iPod came along to change my life. Now I consider our running "quality time" together. As any romantic relationship requires.

Zach said...

Great post. Thanks.

(signed) a runner who just did 4 miles of speedwork. Ugh.