10 January 2008

it's all good

I don't know if it's the magic age of 30 or if 2008 is just a great year (esp in comparison to how craptastic 2007 was) but seriously, this year has started out with some major awesomeness. Last night was fantastic- great date then ice skating with all my friends. Happy me!

I forgot to write about my run on monday that I was really happy about. 3.5 miles, 39:20 mins. I was so happy with my time (anything under 12min miles is great for me) and I felt really good the whole time. I only took one walking break (.2mi) after 1.5 miles. My first mile timed around 9:30mins and I averaged just over 11mins per mile. I tried shortening my stride a bit and seemed to really help. I was able to run faster and longer.

I'm behind on my training schedule which is a little frightening considering how fast the 1/2 is going to be here. I've got to stick with it if I'm going to be able to up my miles enough to feel comfortable running the 13.1 miles in march.

What my training is supposed to be for this week:
sun- stretching & strength training
mon- 3.5 miles
tues- 2 miles or cross training
wed- 3.5 miles & strength training
thurs- rest
fri- 40 mins cross training
sat- 5 miles

What my training has been/ will be this week:
sun- 4 hour nap (I'm pretty sure I was burning calories)
mon- 3.5 miles (yay)
tues- church meetings (all night. I was too tired to go to the gym at 10:30pm)
wed- cross training (does ice skating count as cross training? i broke a sweat.)
thurs- 3.5 miles (hopefully as good as monday's) and some lifting tbd
friday- Karaoke (though it's probably not considered cross training. I'm sure I'll find something else that qualifies)
saturday- 5 miles (outdoor. I usually run on the track at the gym. Saturday will be a good day to go out while the sunshines. I've determined a route using WalkJogRun, which is totally brilliant!)
I knew yesterday evening was going to be too booked to run and I knew I should have woken up early to go to the gym. But I didn't. Not shocking. I am by no means a morning person. I usually wake up around 8:30am. I've been thinking about the hours between 5:30am and 8:30am that I could be using to get my running out of the way for the day. But I've yet to get motivated enough to do it. Maybe someday soon. Maybe.

Also, I've been thinking a lot about what it would be like to train with someone. I've never been a fan of running with people mostly because I'd be totally worried about slowing them down. When I'm on my own I can go at my own pace. However, I think maybe I don't push myself as hard as I would if I were running with someone. Plus, I like to listen to music to keep me going and it's not super kosher to have headphones in when you're running with someone. Pros? Cons? Then there is a problem actually finding someone at or near my level to run with that lives near me.

Also, also, I need a running watch. Any suggestions? I've been looking at this one. They've got some cute girl colors as well but I'm guessing the band will be too snug for my big, fat old wrists.

Anyway, I'm totally excited about running these days and really frustrated that I've got so many other things on my plate that are keeping me from doing it as much as I would like and need to. I guess it is a matter of prioritizing and taking full advantage of the time I do have.

Happy trails everyone!

6 comments:

nathalia said...

well you sound amazing to me! run on!

chloe said...

I wish my training looked that good this week. All will be better next Tuesday. Every application will be done. Life will be good! I will be running!

Amanda said...

Keep it up, girl. You are inspiring. I have been walking about 3-4 miles 3-5 times a week with a little bit of jogging thrown in here and there. I am working my way up to running the whole time.

Shorter strides - I'll have to try that. Maybe it'll help me go longer, too.

brandi (and tim) said...

Where did you find your training schedule? I'm thinking that the 1/2 marathon in March sounds like something I could work up to. I've only been running once (2 days ago) since having the baby but have been walking almost everyday, so if you want to run with me at least you know I probably wouldn't leave you in the dust. Email me if you want to talk more about this.

~b

brandi (and tim) said...

I just realized that I'd need to find a 1/2 marathon where the registration isn't already CLOSED. I guess I could always do the Salt Lake in April?

Heather Bay said...

I'm a horrible runner, but call me when you go to LVAC! Maybe we can lift together once in awhile.