30 May 2007

The blood letting...

For the last few months I've gotten 3-4 calls (well, messages since I never answer my phone) a week from United Blood Services asking me to make another attempt at giving blood. I've always prided myself in being a good blood giver. I'm healthy. I've never had sex with a man who has given someone else drugs or money for sex, or anything of the like. My veins can pumps some serious blood and they can do it fast!
However, I failed at my last donating attempt because of iron deficiency. I was so crushed when they told me I wouldn't be able to donate. I mean... I failed! I failed at donating blood! I hate failing. Because of my failed attempt I was a little hesitant to try again. But I was really getting tired of avoiding their calls and getting their voice mail. I decided the only way to get them to stop was to actually go in and give them my blood.
Now, I'm all about giving. It's not like I didn't want to give them my blood. I just didn't know if my ego could stand being turned away again. So, today was the day. They tested my blood and guess what... IRON DEFICIENT! But, not deficient enough to be turned away. Phew! I was still able to donate but I was only asked to give one unit instead of two. I was a little nervous when they told me they'd be pumping stuff back into me. But, all went well and I survived.

Topic 2- SYTYCD is on again tonight and I'M MISSING IT!! I'll be at the temple so I expect a full report from YOU my readers. I would record it but I still refuse to get TiVo and I haven't bothered to figure out how to use my VCR because seriously... who still uses VCRs??

Topic 3- While I was in Utah on monday I went for a 2 mile run and I didn't feel like I was going to die! It was great! I thought for sure my lungs would be burning due to the elevation change but I was just fine. Now I'm not so worried about running my first 10k at 2000 feet above what I'm used to. I can totally handle it. And speaking of running... the music!! Thanks for all of your suggestions. And SPECIAL THANKS TO CHLOE!!! I got your CD in the mail yesterday and it pretty much rocks my whole world! I'd totally go running tonight with my new tunes but I'm pretty sure my body is going to be too busy making blood.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Girl. I still use a VCR. Hello, how else can I keep up on stuff like LOST and the Office and still have a life?

I am just old skool keepin it real.

Kara said...

Nice job on your UT run. I'm impressed; I can always feel the altitude!

You should find out how to raise your iron levels, especially since you are doing distance running.

chloe said...

Glad you liked the cd!

You missed a great episode of SYTYCD. I'm sorry, but you did! Mainly because of the funny side-stories. Well, and on Weds. while watching with my friends I asked if there had ever been a clogger (I didn't watch last season) and they didn't seem to think so. But last night, there was a clogger! A clogger! It was fantastic!

Anne said...

The american red cross comes to my office every few months and I give blood every time. That is until they broke my heart last time. I had bronchitis a few weeks before and they said I wasn't well enough to donate, even though I just had a little runny nose. I was so hurt. I know it's for the best but still, I felt like I was being broken up with. They're coming again next week, hopefully I'm successful this time. I also hope that the nice latino gentleman who did my pre-blood giving interview is there again. He ruthlessly hit on me and I'll admit, it made me feel really good.

I love SYTYCD! You really did miss a good show on Wednesday. There were definitely some good stories, and Benji was back! He cracks me up.

melissa said...

First of all, I had the same problem with donating blood. I was iron deficient a few years ago and I just can't face the rejection again, so I've given up my blood-giving. Maybe I need to follow in your footsteps and give it another go. Second of all, never fret my pet...Megan and Missy just got DVR, so I will be hitting up their house every Wednesday after the temple to partake in the gloriousness of SYTYCD! You better believe you'll be joining us! Third, congrats on the running...pretty sure I haven't been to the gym in like 3+ weeks. Lame.