04 May 2007

Penny & Madge... and Reagan

Ah sweet Penny & Madge...

So last week I took advantage of a weekend without plans and made an early happy birthday visit to my sister in LA. I've known for months that I wanted to get her a beach cruiser bike for her birthday and had dreams of just showing up at her house with a bike with a bow on it. But, I figured if I was going to get her a bike I might as well get her exactly what she wanted. And I figured that if I was going to buy her a bike I might as well get me one too!

We met up at Chubby's Cruiser Shop to pick out our bikes. I knew exactly what I wanted but it took sister a little bit to narrow down the options. Finally we left with our bikes.

First of all let me tell you about Madge- sister's bike. Madge is the black bike on the right. She's cool and classy, sophisticated and down to earth. She sports a gorgeous basket from Latvia that has been awaiting her arrival for years. Madge is the kind of bike all bikes strive to be like.

Penny on the other hand... I tell you what. Penny is a real spit fire. She's my firebolt- the red gal on the left. She has a basket and a sassy little bell that she likes to ring at totally inappropriate times. She likes to carry rocks in her basket and has already landed on top of me twice- the latest crash of which I bear scrapes all down my leg. You can't help but love her though. Penny is the kind of bike that all bikes wish they were brave enough to be like.

Penny & I, Madge & sis all took a lovely ride down at the beach on saturday. Beautiful day. Awesome ride. In fact, we did it again on sunday because it was just so peaceful and fun.

The Reagan Library and my new found admiration for President Reagan... Sunday afternoon we drove up to Simi Valley to see the Reagan Library and Museum. Earlier in the week I'd come across a speech given by President Reagan while in office and it amazed me. I'll always remember him as the President of my early childhood but have never known who he was and what he represented. This speech introduced me to a man who believed in God and turned to Him for direction, a man who believed in human decency and that the strength of this great country lies in it's people and their morals, a man who was a total romantic and loved his wife, and who was the president at such an interesting time in the history of the world.